Women’s Running Shoes
Whether you're going for a casual jog around your neighborhood or racing your first marathon, the best running shoes for women are the ones that fit your feet. Don't worry about getting the most colorful, Instagrammable shoe. Focus instead on comfort, fit and quality. While investing in a good shoe may cost more up front, quality kicks can put a spring in your step for 300-500 miles. Consider sizing up a half or full size from what you usually wear to accommodate foot swelling and movement. Learn more about how to choose the best running shoes for you in this helpful guide.
Types of Women's Running Shoes
- Trail Running: Escape the asphalt and go off-roading with the gals in trail running shoes designed to grip and grab on unpaved trails. Traditionally heavier, trail running shoes protect your feet on rugged terrain and guard against sticks and rocks along the way.
- Long Distance: Ladies who dig a good sufferfest will love cushioned shoes built for pavement pounding on long runs. Find a pair with a wide toe box and upper to prevent blisters and allow ample room for swelling. Nike running shoes for women offer plush options for lengthy runs .
- Road Running: If road running is your jam, opt for classic kicks with high shock absorbency to protect your joints on unforgiving asphalt. Choose road running shoes with mesh uppers to let heat and sweat escape, keeping your feet dry and comfortable while preventing blisters. ASIC's women's running shoes offer cushioned road options with bouncy foam composition and gel pads to reduce impact.
- Ultralight: Looking to be swift on your next 5K? Or race your fastest-ever mile? Ultralight running shoes just might be your secret weapon. Designed for short, fast sprints, these kicks shave weight by ditching cushioning. True minimalist shoes simulate barefoot running—other ultralight models like On running shoes offer moderate cushioning without sacrificing speed.
Women's Running Shoe Features
Picking the perfect running shoe means deciphering the jargon to discover the best fit for you. We're breaking down a few terms you may see on running shoe descriptions that need further explanation.
- Cushioning: Refers to plush midsole foam that absorbs impact. How much you need is a matter of personal preference.
- Heel Drop: Difference in cushioning between the shoe's toe and heel, measured in millimeters. A standard drop is 10 millimeters.
- Zero Drop: Refers to shoes with an equal amount of cushioning under the heel and toe which is great for marathon runners.
- Waterproof: Internal shoe membranes that resist wind and water keep your feet warm and dry longer in inclement conditions.
- Lightweight: Built with less cushioning and stability features, lightweight shoes are for minimalist runners with a need for speed.
Nordstrom carries all the best running shoe brands, including Nike, Asics, On Cloud, Hoka One One, and Brooks running shoes for women. In addition to running shoes, learn all about the essential running gear you need to reach your goals. For the fall and winter months, check out our guide on what to wear running in cold weather for helpful tips.
About ASICS running shoes:
Trusted by professional athletes and casual runners alike, ASICS running shoes are known for their excellent fit and durability. Lace up with ASICS breathable mesh trainers on hot summer days, or choose waterproof running shoes for damp conditions. Based on your pronation style and chosen terrain, ASICS offers road and trail running shoes fit for every foot.
About Brooks running shoes:
Brooks is one of the oldest and most respected technical footwear companies around. While Brooks was long known for its not-so-stylish stability shoes, the company expanded its brand and is now a leading footwear innovator. From unique forays into trail running to minimalist running shoes, count on Brooks to launch hip, functional options in an array of colors, or keep it classic with basic black running shoes.
About Ultraboost running shoes:
Designed to flow with your natural gait and provide more energy return, Adidas Ultraboost running shoes add extra pep to your step and fit like a second skin. Blurring the line between a lifestyle sneaker and a performance model, the Ultraboost white running shoes are a favorite of fashionistas—but they're also available in a wide range of colors.