10 A-List Styling Tips: Micaela Erlanger
10 A-List Styling Tips
Celebrity stylist Micaela Erlanger's secrets for looking great.
By Britt Burritt
With a client roster that includes Diane Kruger, Lupita Nyong’o and Meryl Streep, stylist Micaela Erlanger knows how to land on a Best-Dressed list. Erlanger’s secret weapon: accessories—and she just wrote a book on them! Her talent for finishing touches made her an ideal collaborator for a new BaubleBar collection launching at Nordstrom this month. “I wanted the pieces to feel elevated and polished, with a sense of whimsy,” she tells us. “We’re mixing stones and shapes, and using jewelry not just to complement an outfit, but to become a focal point.”
Tips from Micaela:
- Confidence is key. When you feel great, you look great and that radiates.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things! You may surprise yourself.
- More is more and sometimes that’s not a bad thing. Three necklaces can be better than one.
- Invest in a good tailor. Most clothes don’t fit right off the rack. Sometimes an easy adjustment is all it takes to really make you shine.
- Don’t underestimate the power of great basics: a perfectly tailored blazer, a crisp white shirt, flattering mid-rise denim and playful pumps.
- It’s always good to get a second opinion from someone you trust.
- Wear shoes you can walk in. There is nothing worse than being uncomfortable.
- A statement lip can be everything. Adding a punch of color on your lips can brighten up your whole face.
- Layer jewelry in odd numbers. The most important thing is creating a stack that sits nicely together. Hard structured pieces like bangles stack better than flexible bracelets with links.
- Mixing your accessories in different ways is what makes a look your own. Don’t be afraid to combine your heirloom pieces with things that are newer, or to wear costume jewelry alongside the real thing.
P.S. Coming October 22: BaubleBar x Micaela Erlanger.